2.13.2008

Let Me Upgrade You


So recently I was told by a guy (that has a thing for me) that I needed a man to upgrade me. Now for those of you in the dark about what exactly he meant let me explain. I am not in any way shape or form one of the clicky girls...clicky being my nickname for the girls in college that spent two hours doing their hair and make-up to come to class. I stand next to these women in my t-shirt and jeans in awe that anyone spent that much time getting ready. No I am not the chick in five inch heels walking through the club searching for a man to buy me a drink...no look down and you will see me the 5'5 girl in flip flops shuffling through the club in search of my own. I wore fake nails once in my life and hated them so much I never went back. I do my hair, but it always frizzes back up again and I don't have the time, patience, or desire to put it back. I live my life in flip flops and Uggs. My make-up bag is only littered with mascara and lipgloss...well if you look hard you may find an eye-shadow clinking around in there. And you would never catch me spending more than 30 minutes getting ready for work or school.
Now to be honest I adore shopping more than anything and I could spend hours of time hanging out in Sephora. The perfume section of Macys is my best friend and I live for mani/peids. After all I am a girl. Its just that after years of attempting the overdone look and hearing more and more guys tell me that girls need to lay off the make-up. I decided to go the other way and be me. I enjoy my laid back style, it suits me. So to hear this guy tell me that I need to be upgraded because my style is boring...well I was shocked. See if what guys want (him in particular) is an "upgraded" girl, then why is he so attracted to me. Could it be my easy going personality? Well if its that then I have something to tell him because the personality directly correlates with the style. Its my choice to pull out the the rat race we women run that has given me an easy fun mentality.
I look up to girls like natalie portman that believe that would rather be smart than beautiful. I honestly would rather go to Yale than be a model. Would I like to have both? Of course, but if I had to choose I realize that beauty fades. And if you really are a pretty girl should you have to try so hard to convince everyone else. Its like if you have billions and you hustle to go to work every single day. You could go to work 24/7 and it may make you richer in the long run, but you don't have to. Now back to natalie...on the red carpet she looks stunning, easily one of the best faces in Hollywood, but in her everyday life she looks utterly plain. She clomps around in converse and jeans with absolutly no make-up on. And she has some of the hottest guys around as boyfriends. Further proof that there is no need to try so hard. Its all about what you like. I realize some women enjoy their hair and make-up routine (my mom is one of them), but I don't and maybe one day I will. For now though there will be no upgrading, does that mean I will be single for life? Maybe but I doubt it...I manage to attract a pretty decent stream of cuties all on my own. ;0)

No comments: